Calcutta Mint starts with the treaty of the East India Company with Nawab Siraj-ud-Daula, dated 7th February 1757. In 1756, the Nawab of Bengal attacked and captured Calcutta, whereupon the British sent an army and fleet to recapture the town in January 1757. Following this, they obliged the Nawab to grant them the right to establish a Mint and they began to strike coins at first showing the Mint name Alinagar‘Calcutta Alinagar’ being the name given to the town by the Nawab. However, later in the year following the battle of Plassey, the new Nawab allowed the East India Company to strike coins with the Mint name Kalkata. Historical records however, often differ and Therston dates the Mint at 1759 or 1760 when a Parwana (Permission or licence) was obtained after the treaty of Siraj-ud-Daulah in 1757. However, in September 1757 Mr. Frankland and Mr. Boddam were appointed joint Mint master and the Mint had swung into full operation, sending 3050 rupees to Kasimbazar for the approval of the Nawab and five to London. The earliest rupee from the Calcutta Mint issued on the pattern of the Mughal Coins with Persian inscriptions. The site of the first Mint of Calcutta is not known.