Haryana Vidyut Prasaran Nigam Limited (HVPNL) was incorporated as a company under the Companies Act, 1956 on 19th August 1997 and was granted the certificate to commence its business on 18th September 1997. Subsequently, the transmission and distribution businesses of the erstwhile HSEB were transferred to HVPNL on 14th August 1998. This was done through transfer scheme, notified by the Government, vide Notification No. SO/06/HA/98/S 23,24 & 25/99, dated 14.08.1998 which entrusted HVPNL with the functions of Power transmission & distribution. Another transfer scheme, vide Notification No. SO 156/HA.10/98/Ss 23,24,25 & 55/99, dated 01.07.1999 further segregated HVPNL by carving out two more corporations- UHBVNL & DHBVNL. On 1st July 1999, the distribution business was transferred to Uttar Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam Limited (UHBVNL) in the North Zone & Dakshin Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam Limited (DHBVNL) in the South Zone.